Using vehicles off road requires skill and experience – here are some quick 4×4 driving tips on how to drive your 4×4 off road:
- When off-road, engage low ratio. Use diff lock if appropriate
- Starting procedure: Brake, Clutch, Key (BCK)
- When driving off, hold vehicle on foot brake until clutch engages, release footbrake, take foot away from clutch and accelerate away
- Keep clutch foot on the floor- do not cover the clutch
- Avoid driving on firm roads with differential locks engaged
- Check your vehicle handbook to learn how to use driving aids such as freewheeling hubs, diff lock, descent control etc.
- To park vehicle, hold on footbrake and clutch, turn off engine leaving in gear. Remove foot from clutch and finally brake pedal.
- When leaving vehicle, ensure left in gear with engine and handbrake OFF.
To learn about hill climbing and descending, Water hazards and other hazards we have got the best compact course that will teach you all the 4×4 driving tips you need to know. Driving experiences make great gifts and time of the year! Prices from £99. Please contact the team at the Drive-Tech office for more information.
We are affiliated with the British Offroad Driving Association.